The Macdonald Institute is a 1903 Italianate load bearing masonry building. As recommended by the condition assessment report previously undertaken by SBA, the building parapets and entry portico were conserved/rebuilt and the 3rd floor lecture hall was renovated. The parapet and cornice had developed significant structural issues and the terra cotta element of the portico had significantly deteriorated.
The parapet walls were taken down to below the roof level and rebuilt using new bricks to match the existing with structural and building envelope improvements. The original metal cornice was carefully removed, conserved in the contractor’s shop, and reinstalled with a new galvanized metal support structure. The life span of the conserved terra cotta coping was extended through the use of lead coated copper flashing while replicated concrete units were used elsewhere. The portico was beyond conservation and required a complete reconstructed with new terra cotta, masonry and copper cornice to match the original.
Within the building, the new semi-circular lecture hall design created a space for discussion based lectures and in-class group work, utilizing state-of-the-art audio-visual technologies. The lecture hall incorporated contemporary university standards and equipment within the context of the historic building elements.
Heritage Canada – The National Trust Ecclesiastical Insurance Cornerstone Award for Building Heritage – 2014
CAHP Craftsmanship Award of Merit – 2011