Located in Eastern Hamilton, Gage Park Fountain is the central focal point of Gage Park. The stone fountain’s three hundred foot long watercourse leads into the park, up a set of stairs with stone piers and balustrade, and to the fountain itself. This fountain has been enjoyed by the residents of Hamilton since its dedication in 1927; however, vandalism, poor temporary repairs, unsympathetic modifications and stone/concrete deterioration had taken their toll and the fountain was at risk without a skilled intervention.
The fountain restoration required the complete take-down and re-assembly of the fountain. This afforded the opportunity to reintroduce the fountain’s stone central column, previously removed in 1980, thus returning the fountain to its original height. The stone of the lower basin and dedication frieze had deteriorated beyond repair, and were replaced with newly carved stone pieces. The existing bronze spouting turtles and ducks were also restored and reinstated so that they would once again function as per the original design. Significant repairs were required for the concrete basin and watercourse and a new waterproofing application was installed.
The project was completed in conjunction with a larger landscaping project of the surrounding park.
Award of Excellence in Heritage Restoration, City of Hamilton Urban Design & Architecture Awards - 2015
CAHP Award of Excellence – Skilled Partner, 2015